Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Playing Tourists in our own City


This past weekend Jake surprised me with a getaway weekend downtown Minneapolis. Even though we live only 20 mins from the city we totally acted like tourists doing all the typical "tourist" things.

We started off Saturday evening going to Rossi's, which by the way now is not Rossi's anymore to my dismay. My favorite Jazz bar has now been turned into "Hell's Kitchen". I was so upset when I walked down the steps to see what used to be a cozy 1940's style bar now with rod-framed tables and creepy monster pictures all over the walls. And the usually beautiful marble walled bathrooms are now covered with horror pictures, and instead of warm hand towels to dry your hands with there are regular paper towels. I hope all of you who read this can maybe take a moment of silence in memory of my beloved Rossi's :(

On a more up-beat note, after dinner at "Hell's Kitchen" it was onward to the "Shout House" which is a really fun piano bar. If you can imagine a stage with 2 grand piano's back to back and two guys playing every old or new song you can possibly think of, singing like no tomorrow. Oh, I forgot to mention that joining us all evening was Derek & Amanda, Matt'n Christine, and Geno & Denise.















Derek has tendinitis, which is why he has crutches. I think it's too bad, because I always enjoy watching him and Amanda groovin' the moves. Maybe next time!


After the party dwindled down Jake and I checked in to the Westin and slept in Sunday. Check-out wasn't till noon and we took advantage of that. For breakfast/lunch we went for bloody-mary bar at the Newsroom, perfect post-party wake up call.




All day Sunday, mind you this was a flurry cold cloudy Sunday, we wandered through museums. You have to know that I'm married to the biggest museum nerd of all times. But no complaints my way, I have loved all our museum days believe me. I love the view of the Mississippi river we got from the top of the Mill City Museum. I never knew that the flour mill was the main source of economic industry in Minneapolis back in the day. Very interesting! I hope you can see me saying that in an Italian accent. Very Interesting!!



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great weekend!!! I love the pictures. I loved hearing all about it while my feet soaked and the massage chair, well, massaged me.

Doesn't this blogging stuff make you feel kind of Sex and the Citish? Oooooo I get to be Charlotte, I called it.

Anonymous said...

Anna I am very disappointed our Jazz bar closed. Remember what a nice time you me and Suzie had having Bloody Mary's there.

Andrea told me about this place called Roffi's that Anna went to with me, I said I've never been to Roffi's. She said yeah I am sure it was you. Then when she told me it was a jazz bar, I finally figured out what she was talking about. But the name still wasn't ringing a bell, now that I read your entry today, it all makes sense. And I do definitely remember RoSSi's. Do you even where those Ralph Lauren jodhpur pants that you bought that day, for and exorbitant amount of money?

Anonymous said...

I will be Carrie. Tee hee!!!

A Lady Reveals Nothing said...

Are you sure it was Anna that spent an exhorbitant amount of money on pants? You must be thinking of someone else. Anna wouldn't do that.

anna said...

I totally forgot about those crazy expensive RL pants. I blame that on Rossi's martinis that day. I think I ended up giving them to Andrea couple years later, but I truly don't remember. I can say that I haven't bought any more exhorbitantly expensive pants since... except that one time at J-crew, oh and then that other time at saks, nevermind!